Sunday, April 28, 2013

The First Beltaine.

For twenty years, Beltaine was my handfasting/wedding anniversary. This time last year, The Ex had this big trip to New Orleans planned for us (a trip we never took). Less than three months later, he decided he didn't want to be married to me at all.

My relationship with the holiday may be a bit contentious this year.

My relationship with the holidays has been a bit contentious ever since The Disaster, really. Samhain was the most anti-climactic and dull one I've ever had, with every plan for celebration/witchery falling through. Given that we share this house (and it's many, many windows) with other people who are unlikely to simply shrug at me and The Husband frolicking in the nude twixt the peppers and the cucumbers, an outdoor celebration is inadvisable for Beltaine. Also, ants. Stupid ants.

What with me having to work late on Beltaine night, and going to work early the next morning, I'm flummoxed as to what to do. Romantic dinner? Nah. Gathering dew? I don't know - is it dew at 4:45am? A surreptitious sacred shag in the neighbor's pasture? Again, ants. And possible uncomfortable conversations with the local constabulary. The last time I looked for rowan, I couldn't find any, so saining the house is also right out - especially considering that one of our housemates is probably the type of Christian to be offended, though you never can tell what can be passed off as "family customs".

At least the Cabinet for Them is done, and they'll be put in it tonight. It's an ex-spice rack, which makes me think They like "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" as much as I do.* I've painted it black for now, and will decorate it more as I get instructions on what They'd like. I suspect plant designs may be requested, or maybe even live plants, if I can figure out how and what won't hurt the pets if they eat them. I'll ask to be told, and I'm sure I'll get some kind of answer.


*Willow is getting deeper into witchcraft, and joins a "Wicca group" in college. When asked how it was, she says that it was all talk, no witchcraft, and that "every girl with a henna tattoo and a spice rack thinks she's a sister to the Dark Ones."

No comments:

Post a Comment