Thursday, September 1, 2011

Why the serpent and the foxglove?

It seemed like the first post ought to explain the title.

Snakes and the foxglove plant seem to go hand-in-hand with witchcraft. Flying ointments, woodcuts of a snake eating its' own tail, the bell-shaped flowers ringing when fairies are present, a certain wisdom that seems somewhat scary to come by.

I also dearly love Wade Davis's "The Serpent and the Rainbow",  reading about any and all serpent deities, the little striped grass snakes in my yard, and the lovely foxglove plants I grew one year - they never made flowers, but their huge, gorgeous leaves made a fine place for some house wrens to raise a family. I marvel at the fact that the same plant that can cure, can kill.

Warning: blog may contain Ceremonial Magic, nuts, Wicca, soy, neopaganism, traces of nuts, scathing commentary, gluten, classical paganism, cloves, opinionated ramblings, yeast, whimsy, honey, complete seriousness, oats, theological musings, and is created in a facility that contains nuts.

P.S. This is not a democracy; any comments which I deem too nasty will get you blocked, banned, etc.. I don't have to let everyone who knocks into my home, and I don't have to give you space on my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment